Canadian Travel Information
TRAVEL DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS
For entry into Canada, all travelers must have a 1) valid passport. Check to see if you need a 2) Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). eTA's are mandatory for visa-exempt foreign nationals traveling to Canada by air (not by land or sea.) Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travelers with a valid Canadian visa. Visit the Government of Canada’s official website for new information on entry regulations. Click here to learn more. Click here to download the international invitation.
*TIP – Remember to have copies of important documents incase of loss or theft.
Packing & Weather
Toronto temperatures in June average 17ºC / 63ºF with cool evenings. The dress code for HITEC is business casual. Because meeting room temperatures tend to be cold and personal comfort ranges can vary, please bring a sweater or jacket.
CURRENCY & TAXES
The currency is the Canadian dollar. Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) is a 13% tax that is applied to most purchases of taxable supplies of goods and services in the Province of Ontario. The HST is charged in place of Canada’s Goods and Services Tax (GST) and a Provincial Sales Tax (PST).
*TIP – Check for any entrance and/or exit fees, and also check the currency exhange rate.
UP Express (Train from Airport to City)
The Union Pearson Express (UP Express) gets you into the heart of downtown Toronto in 25 stress-free minutes, with trains leaving Pearson Airport every 15 minutes, between 5:27 a.m. and 12:57 a.m. every day.
The UP Express connects Canada’s two busiest transportation hubs: Toronto Pearson International Airport and Union Station in downtown Toronto. The UP Pearson Station is located right beside the blue Link Train at Terminal 1, connecting travellers to Terminal 3. For more information, visit www.upexpress.com.
Group Rate for the HITEC Toronto Conference: UP Express tickets may be purchased from an UP Express Guest Services Representative at UP Pearson Station at time of travel for only $9.00 CAD (credit card only) for a one-way adult fare when you show confirmation of conference registration (print or digital). Your ticket to return to Pearson Airport can be purchased at UP Express Union Station at time of travel (registration confirmation required). Alternatively, you can purchase tickets in advance online or using the UP Mobile App (regular rates apply). Learn More>
For those traveling from the Toronto Pearson International Airport directly to the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, you will take the UP Express Pearson Station entrance and exit at the UP Express Union Station. From Union Station, it will be a short 5 minute walk to the convention centre.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Q. Can I enter Canada and the U.S. if I have a DUI on my record?
- A. Canada may not allow persons with DUI (driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol) convictions and/or criminal or immigration-related convictions to enter their country. Learn More
- Q. Where can I find border wait times if I am driving to Canada from the United States?
- A. The official Government of Canada's website features estimated wait times are updated at least once an hour. Learn More>
- Q. How can I avoid getting held up at customs in the airport?
- A. If you are coming to HITEC, or a different business conference, and communicate at customs that you are "attending a conference" this should simplify the customs entry process for you.
- Q. How can I determine if I am inadmissible?
- A. Click here to visit the Government of Canada's website to see if you can enter Canada.